The thunderstorm of Monday, 21 November 2016 triggered an unprecedented thunderstorm asthma event in metropolitan Melbourne and Geelong. It caused significant demand on both Ambulance Victoria and hospital emergency departments and sadly may have contributed to nine lives being lost.
The Asthma Foundation of Victoria has been funded by the Department of Health and Human Services to deliver an Epidemic Thunderstorm Asthma Community Education and Support Program.
The free community sessions can be attended by anyone, and will cover the following topics:
- What is Thunderstorm Asthma
- Who is at risk of Thunderstorm Asthma
- How do you respond to a thunderstorm asthma event
- How to perform Asthma First Aid
- The link between asthma and hay fever
To ensure there is a thorough understanding of asthma we will also present a basic overview of asthma and medications used to treat and prevent symptoms.